Thursday, June 4, 2009

Technical Issues

This is just a quick, almost pointless post to apologize for not having as many posts up the last couple of days as I would have liked to. I've been suffering a few technical difficulties making updates a tad close to impossible. This looks like it has been remedied, however, and I should have some great Blog columns about SIFF for you tomorrow after I get back from a press screening of The Taking of Pelham 123.

What I will say is that I watched Frances Ford Coppola's stunning new film Tetro this morning and to say I was flabbergasted would be a gross understatement. This beautiful, thought-provoking and deeply emotional masterwork brought me to tears and left me sitting in the theater in complete darkness the last person to leave. It is, without question, a serious work by a still-gifted master whose last work - the semi-horrible Youth Without Youth - had many of us questioning whether he still had anything worthwhile left within him.



As answers go, Tetro is as good as is it gets. Moments of pretension aside (and a dip into traffic-filled melodrama I didn't quite need at the end), this might have a shot at edging The Hurt Locker as my second favorite piece of the festival. I'll have to think more on it, of course, but I can tell you right now that when this one opens film lovers of all kinds better be first in line. You simply need to see this and it has to be seen in a movie theater to appreciate fully, and if the darn thing doesn't get Oscar nods for cinematography, editing and sound design than those knuckleheads in the Academy have forgotten what brilliance is.

I'll leave it there for now. More tomorrow. Promise.

No comments:

Post a Comment